To volunteer during camp, new and returning adult volunteers must:
- Be registered Girl Scouts—with Girl Scouts of Central Maryland or another Girl Scout council—by no later than Outdoor Training.
- Complete the Adult Volunteer Registration via CampDoc.
- For Transportation, please list everyone that will either be riding with you in your vehicle, or riding with you on a bus (if you request and are assigned to be a bus rider).
- Complete a Child Protective Services (CPS) background check. (This is free and online.)
- This is required for every volunteer registered as an adult, NOT for Program Aides who are 18 years old.
- Print the confirmation/results page and bring it to General Training or Outdoor Training to be notarized.
CPS check GSHCDC instructions.pdf
Adobe Acrobat document [239.8 KB]
- Attend General Training and Outdoor Training. (See the Mandatory Trainings page for more information.)
- Plan with your team ahead of time to ensure a good week.
- Attend the Set-up time for the week(s) that you are volunteering. (Check the home page for dates and times.)
- Work a minimum of three (3) days per week. These days can be split with a (Girl Scout registered) spouse or relative, if needed.
NEW STAFF VOLUNTEERS
New staff volunteers also need three letters of reference.
- Send the Reference Form (below) to three non-family members.
- Have these people mail the completed forms to: GSHCDC; P.O. Box 1817, Ellicott City, MD 21041.
- All forms must be received by Outdoor Training.
Adult Staff Reference Form 2016.pdf
Adobe Acrobat document [142.0 KB]
If you want a rebate for volunteering, you must also complete LiveScan fingerprinting. See below.
To request a rebate for volunteering, adult volunteers must have completed LiveScan fingerprinting with FYI Fingerprints.
IF YOU are a new volunteer, or a returning volunteer who did not volunteer last year, please complete a new LiveScan fingerprinting before Outdoor Training. Go to:
3696 Park Avenue, Suite 103
Ellicott City, MD 21043
When you go to FYI Fingerprints, let them know you are there for Girl Scout Howard County Day Camp. GSHCDC will cover the cost of the fingerprinting. You will also need to present at least one form of government-issued identification (e.g., a driver's license) to be fingerprinted.
IF YOU completed a LiveScan fingerprinting in the past, and have volunteered at GSHCDC every year since then (except for 2020 when camp was cancelled), you may not need to do it again. We are looking into this and will post an update in the future.